UK Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Window opening was always erratic (closing less so). It started with driver window, which would only open after you’d driven for a few mins. The problem has now spread to all the windows. Often none opening, opening half way then closing again etc. Situation possibly exacerbated by hot weather, just when you need them to open.

I’ve no doubt garage will tell me it’s regulator, devil to get at, hefty labour charge etc.

Before the inevitable, just wondered if there were some techniques I could try?

Thank you.

(I laugh when I see all those vids for restoring the single touch process. I’d kill to have that)

·
Administrator
32,475 Posts
Odd one for a Golf 7, in our workshop we would start with one window and spray large amounts of a Teflon dry film lubricant spray down the guides and exercise the window up and down before applying some more. Unfortunately due to children killing themsleves standing on door switches with their heads out of the window, the anti trap settings are now very sensitive

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve been on a long journey. It took about 30 mins for any of windows to open. Then just unable to open driver window. Eventually got that to open, but now others won’t open. There is another other irritating thing. You press to lower and window opens a few inches and stops. You press again, and window then decided to close😃

I’ll get the stuff recommended. Do I just spray down the front half of gap when windows fully open? (Rear half seems to be covered by glass.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry forgot to say spray coming tomorrow so will see how we go then. When I try the window control, there is clear audible double sound (not click, more like fut fut) coming from windows. Does that rule out electrical issues?

Thanks again

·
Administrator
32,475 Posts
It could be that the main power wire or earth in the door conduit is broken but the lower power level controller feed still working. I haven't had this issue YET with a Golf 7.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. Whatever it is, it’s affected all four windows. Either a bizarre coincidence or some wire that controls all the windows? Guess that would trump anything the lubricant might do?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can’t see it just needing a bit of spray if it’s affected all 4 windows at the same time. Are they ok from there own switches or just when you use the drivers switches

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Morning

Just checked, and it’s just the driver controls that don’t function, meaning I can’t open the driver’s window. Does that make it easier to diagnose and fix? Thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Press the unlock on the remote for a few seconds and it should bring all the windows down
Hi again

No luck unfortunately. I have to put key in ignition to get windows to operate. Can’t open any of windows from driver’s controls, pressed unlock on remote for a few seconds but made no difference. RU saying windows should all open automatically when you press unlock on remote? Doesn’t seem to in my case.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts